Experience a dynamic alternative to traditional weekly sessions as you condense 6 months of counseling into one weekend. Re-prioritize and enhance your relationship as you receive an industry-leading, research-based assessment process, and begin a concentrated deep-dive into your relationship needs as you build, maintain, or repair your connection.
Ask Yourself: Is this Couple's Weekend Retreat right for you? Many of our couples can answer yes to one or more of the following:
- Are we stuck in the same argument over and over (most couples have the same argument their entire marriage!)?
- Am I unsatisfied and long for more?
- Could we use tools and insights to help move through conflict more easily and quickly?
- Could my relationship benefit from a deeper connection?
- Do I feel resentful, frustrated, angry or discouraged in your relationship?
- Could we have more fun in our relationship?
- Has there been a recent betrayal, large or small?
- Do we wish you could communicate with each other more effectively?
- Do we have a good relationship but want to take it to the next level?
- Are we long overdue for a weekend to solely focus on your love?
- Am I ready to see my relationship grow toward the potential I know is there?
The 2-day Retreat Weekend is our standard and most sought after weekend. In all, this option spends nearly an entire day immersed in research-based and evidenced-based assessment processes (primarily the Gottman Method) and sets aside more than one full day for active counseling. That's 6+ months of counseling in one weekend!
2-Day Weekend Retreat Pricing
The 2-Day Private Couple's Weekend Retreat starts at $3,000*. This price includes:
- An entire weekend with Indiana's only Certified Gottman Therapist
- Online or In-Your Home
- All SCS travel costs for Retreats within 45 miles of Greenwood, IN (additional charges if SCS travels to your location outside of this range).
- Home-Based sessions for added convenience and privacy.
- 45 minute Initial Meeting (approx. 1-month prior to your intensive)
- 45 minute Check-In Appointment (approx. 2-4 weeks after your package)
- Industry leading assessments - including the 4-6 hours of devoted time your therapist spends scoring, analyzing and interpreting the results
- An in-person assessment process based on over 40 years of real science with 3,000+ couples
- 2+ days of immersive couples therapy (Saturday & Sunday)
- Peace of mind knowing that you have committed to better understand your relationship and to begin to build a more positive future.
If scheduling a weekend is difficult for you, due to childcare, jobs, or other factors, we can spread out the 12 hour sessions into 3 or 4 evenings. Best if scheduled consecutively, but not necessary.
The 2-day retreat is designed for couples that are looking to enhance their relationship, make some repairs, and begin a new relationship full of connection - in the convenience of a weekend experience. However, some couples are reeling from deeper, long-lasting betrayals, are in need of greater assistance, and/or simply desire to make even more progress in a short amount of time. If this is you, you may find greater benefit in our 3-5 day Marathon Retreats.
The retreat process, and additional options, have been designed to help real couples experiencing real distress in the real world. As such these retreats typically take place in your home or favorite destination (AirBNB, hotel suite, cabin, etc). In many occasions, we can even travel to you outside of Indiana - nationally and internationally (extra charges will apply).
2-Days -- a total of 12 hours of actualy therapy -- that's 720 minutes
of customized treatment with a Certified Gottman Therapist that specializes in couples and only works with one at a time!
Considering weekly sessions? Here is what you would be looking at:
720 minutes=24 sessions -- $150/session = $3,600 -- + $600 in Assessments = $4,200
and SIX MONTHS of your time.
up to $1,200 and 6 months!
Can you wait?
* Similar to booking an event space, SCS offers different pricing structures for our Private Retreats dependent, in part, upon popularity of the season/day, holidays, and other factors. Weekend prices are based on three price points:
Tier 1: $3,000 - "Sliding Scale" pricing - slower volume times of year - limited availability
Tier 2: $4,000 - this is our Standard Price for the 2-day Private Weekend
Tier 3: $5,000 - weekdays and weekends around holidays, urgent requests or our busiest times of year
Weekend Retreat Sample Schedule
30-45-min Initial Session (included)
2-4 Weeks Before
This online (or in-home) session is used to finalize documents, weekend schedule, location, and assessments and to answer any lingering questions you may have.
9:00 am – 10:00 am
10:00 am – 12:00 pm
12:00 pm – 1:30 pm
1:30 pm – 2:45 pm
Strength & Growth areas
3:00 pm – 4:30 pm
The real work begins.
First Day Wrap-up
9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Your customized therapy continues.
Most couples can't believe how fast the weekend passes and how much we fit into one weekend. This is done by using less stressful techniques, focusing on building (instead of only dwelling on past failures), and promoting a sense of togetherness: empowering you as the 'couple' to overcome anything.
45-min Follow-Up Session (included)
4-8 Weeks Later
To solidify the work you completed, this online session reinforces what you learned and strengthens areas you notice any struggling with. We also discuss ongoing needs and design your personalized aftercare plan.
Personalized Aftercare Plan (not included)
Each couple's needs are unique. We will take numerous factors into account as we design a personalized plan that includes ongoing sessions. Beginning with bi-weekly or monthly sessions, we will work to continue your progress. As you become more confident and efficient in your relationship work, we begin to phase sessions out all the way to 3-months apart. Then we will meet every 6 months for two full years to provide ongoing relationship maintenance, accountability and support (like a dentist appointment or oil change).
All in all, you will receive three years of industry-leading couples counseling aimed at empowering you both to exceed your goals. In that three years, we may only meet 13 times! If you're in need of more consistent support, your Aftercare Plan will reflect that.
Frequently Asked Questions: Intensives
- What is the difference between a 'retreat' and an 'intensive' weekend?
- What are Couples Retreats?
- Why have I never heard of Couples Retreats?
- What situations are appropriate for a Couples Retreat?
- What situations are not appropriate for a Couples Retreat (contraindications)?
- What are the advantages of a Couples Retreat?
- How do I schedule an Intensive?
- Do you offer payment plans or discounts?
- Do you offer different Retreat options?
What is the difference between a 'retreat' and an 'intensive' weekend?
There is no differnce. The terms 'retreat,' 'intensive,' and 'marathon' are often interchangeable. All condense a large amount of counseling into a short amount of time.
What are Couples Retreat?
The standard approach to couples therapy usually involves 2-4 appointments a month, typically a week or two apart. While this is a time-tested method, it isn’t right for every situation. A “Couples Retreat” takes the hours of couples counseling that would usually occur over a 4-6 month period and places them in the context of a much smaller period of time: 2-3 days.
Why have I never heard of Couples Retreats?
Couples Retreats are gaining popularity as marriage counseling becomes a higher priority in society and research, and as couples are beginning to become more aware of the option of retreats. Largely popular on the East and West coast, weekend retreats are beginning to make their way toward the Midwest. Research shows that couples counseling is more effective when the couples is able to more deeply engage. This level of engagement is best met in intensive format. Standard weekly sessions often fall short of this due to time constraints, however, a weekend retreat allows the couple to fully engage and take their time, without being rushed.
What situations are appropriate for a Couples Retreat?
Couples Retreats can be the approach when there are long-term issues that have not responded well to once-a-week marriage counseling. Retreats are sometimes used when there has been a profound breach of trust in a marriage, when partners are feeling stuck with no option but to divorce, or when a relationship has plateaued and feels stagnant. Intensives can also be appropriate simply for couples who want to counsel with Adam and are coming from out of town.
What situations are not appropriate for a Couples Retreats (contraindications)?
While couples Retreats are appropriate for most clients, the retreat process works best for couples who are not in:
- undisclosed, or ongoing affairs;
- suffering from a current active addiction;
- have ongoing violence or threats of violence by either spouse;
- or suffer from a mental illness that isn’t being treated.
- This particularly includes suicidal or homicidal thoughts, or a history of serious harm you’ve done to yourself or another person.
If you have a mental condition or addiction that is currently stable and/or in remission, you are welcome to participate in the form of treatment.
What are the advantages of a Couples Retreat?
Once a week couples counseling is sometimes unable to penetrate the issues in a relationship, simply due to time frame. The typical counseling session is 50 minutes long. It takes a few minutes to get going, and there are business issues such as re-scheduling and payment. 50 minutes can quickly become 30-40 minutes of actual therapy. To get deep into a subject, define the problem, uncover feelings, clarify, and problem solve can be difficult to do in that period of time. The Couples Retreat approach creates an unusually focused time, when you can get deep and stay there, allowing for clarification of problems, development of understanding between a couple, and focused problem solving with skill training.
Here is a brief list of some of the vast benefits of scheduling a Couple's Retreat:
- You’re not going to hear the counselor say “time’s up!” when you are just getting to the important stuff.
- Scheduling is often more convenient – miss less work with weekend intensives vs. weekday appointments.
- Your counselor is focused solely on you and your partner. A typical hourly counselor may have 8 appointments in one day. During the intensive, the counselor is focused completely on you, no distractions of upcoming sessions or time management.
- A retreat shrinks nearly 6 months of weekly counseling into one weekend – imagine all you can work through together in that amount of time.
How do I schedule a retreat?
Do you offer payment plans or discounts?
When booking a retreat, payment is due in full at the time you book your reservation in order to secure your weekend. In lieu of payment plans, we offer 10% off for cash/check payments made in full. For payment, cancellation, and refund policies, refer to our Policy Information via email. To book with the Cash Payment discount, email email@example.com for more information.
Under special circumstances, and for an added service fee, we do occasionally offer short-term payment plans (4 or less payments begining at booking). You may also request to be invoiced through Paypal to take advantage of their 6 months 0% interest payment plans.
Discounted rates may be available for First Responders, Military/Veteran, K-12 Educators, and Clergy
Do you offer alternative options for retreats?
Based on research and practice, the 2-Day Weekend Retreat is the most efficient Retreat Weekend option based on therapeutic outcomes, time and cost. However, for some couples who desire more/less time, we have multiple options. Contact SCS directly to inquire about pricing, scheduling, and to see if you qualify for one of the following options:
- 2.5-Day Intensive (Fri pm/Sat/Sun)
- 3-Day Intensive (Fri/Sat/Sun -or- Sat/Sun/Mon)
- 3 to 5 Day Destination Intensive (bring the intensive to you at your home or favorite vacation spot. Some limitations apply).
We have also developed a weeknight option called Mini-Marathons. Click here for more information.